Zucchini noodles have become quite the craze nowadays! These spiralized vegetables are allowing those who love pasta to have a low carb option every now and then! Zucchini is a great summer vegetable that is so versatile and should be utilized as much as possible in this season because when you buy it, you will most likely be buying it fresh, in season. This meal has a light flavor profile, perfect for summer, chalked full of good nutrition and low carb!! Oh, also, its pretty easy to make, the only “unusual” kitchen tool that you will need will be a spiralizer, these are easy to find and pretty cheap! Here ya go 🙂
Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Zoodles
Makes: 4-5 servings
2 12oz bags of peeled, deveined, uncooked shrimp (I did tail off)
4 medium zucchini, spiralized
2 tbsp Olive Oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp butter or butter substitute
1 lemon, juice and zest
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped parsley
pinch of Red Pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and cut the ends off the zucchini. Use the spiralizer to make pasta. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute without stirring. Add garlic, then stir the shrimp for another minute or so. Once the shrimp is cooked use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the shrimp to a plate.
- Add butter, lemon juice, zest, red pepper flakes and broth to the skillet and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and then add the zucchini to the skillet and toss to warm it up.
- Add the shrimp and stir another minute until the flavors are incorporated.
That’s it! Serve immediately for best results. NOTE: you can keep in refrigerator and reheat. Just be aware that because zucchini is mostly water, when you reheat, it might make the zoodles a bit watery. They will still be flavorful and al dente in texture!!